Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Not such good news

I posted a week or 2 ago about our failed attempt to get new windows.  We had a contractor out today to take a look.  He pulled back the drywall and behind it was poorly made- exterior wall framing needs to be a certain size lumber.  The aluminum siding needs to sealed up properly so that water cannot seep behind it.  We are going to need to shore it up with proper framing- up to code. 
The addition had originally been a screened in sleeping porch, and when the previous owners decided to close it in (themselves) they just tacked windows in the openings and hung sheet rock over the paneling and put aluminum siding outside.  No permits, no inspectors, nothing up to code.  We didn't know how bad it was until we tried to have new windows installed.   Why didn't this come up in our home inspection?
I was concerned about financing the adoption, but now I don't see how it will all get done.    This is going to postpone our homestudy, ugh.
I know it isn't as bad as houses on this show, the main part of the house is solid, but the addition...

So clearly not my house, but I wish Ty Pennington would come and fix it up for us! ;-)  Or that TV show where they come in and fix what bad contractors did.  Actually, that house doesn't look bad, I mean before they started tearing it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment