Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there- especially mine and Chris's.
Yesterday I said to Chris "Happy Father's Day minus 2" to which he responded "maybe minus 1."  An optimist, I could use more of that!  Chris and I started this tradition when he sent flowers and a card which read: Happy negative 1 anniversary, 1 year before our wedding date.
I was going to get him a card, but Father's Day cards are such a let down.  I am reminded of this every year when I shop for our dad's.  Mother's Day cards are sweet, sentimental and sometimes funny.  Father's Day cards always say something like: "Dad, you were always _______ (fishing, watching TV, playing golf, grilling) while mom raised me."  Geez, what a complex we are giving our dads!  Both Chris and I had dads who were 100% involved: coaching teams, leading scouts, taught us to drive, ride bikes, fish, etc.  I can remember my dad patiently trying to get eye drops in my eyes when I was 4 (pink eye, of course) long after my mom (the nurse) gave up!  He was a little less patient with driving, but his life may have been on the line.  I know Chris will be a great dad too.  He'll give baths, put band aides on boo-boos, read stories, go camping, and he better teach the kids to drive because I still haven't mastered the manual transmission or parallel parking! 
So thank you to our dads!  And next year we'll make our own greeting cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment