Thursday, June 28, 2012

Tag Sale Totals, not quite ready...

First of all, I discovered "Tag Sale" is a New England term.  It just means yard sale or garage sale.  I don't know why we call it a tag sale and I don't know why the rest of you guys don't know what I am talking about!  I also learned that only we call poster board "oak tag" and again no one, even my husband, knows what I am talking about.  So let's say I say to him "let's pick up some oak tag to make signs for the tag sale" and he looks at me with a blank expression- now I know why.  He says weird things though.  He says "these cookies were boughten" which means they're not homemade. 

So the tag sale update:
I haven't posted totals because we are still waiting for some items to sell.  We were surprised how much people low balled us on items.  We had a photocopy machine and people wanted to buy it for $50, we listed it on Craigslist and had dozens of offers for $200+ in minutes.  We listed all the furniture and big items on Craigslist.  That was very successful.  We had some nice stuff and odd items (a stuffed deer head) and we got better prices that way. 
I took the clothing to consignment stores.  I had never done that before, I usually drop off things we don't use anymore at the thrift shop for the local hospital.  It works like this: you drop your items off, they price them and if they sell in 60 days you get 1/2 the sale price.  If they don't sell you can take them back.  We had some nice clothing that friends had donated- designer brands and purses.  One consignment shop listed a bag for $160 and its matching wallet for $50- so if it sells I will have $105 from just those 2 items, while at the tag sale people were offering $5.  If it doesn't sell, I can pick it up and try another shop. 
I would recommend to anyone trying a tag sale fundraiser, to try consignment.  Invite a few fashionable friends over to go through the items.  I am not familiar with many of these designer brands.  I thought consignment would only take designer labels, but they took Gap and Ann Taylor Loft.  Pick a consignment shop in a trendy, hipster area.  I found 2 consignment shops right next to each other.  One catered to a younger crowd- they took all my Abercrombie, Gap and roller skates and denim.  The other one took Coach and Kate Spade purses and clothes from Loft and Banana Republic.  They also took 2 pieces of Wedgewood and a Mother's Day plate.  They both get a good amount of traffic, so I'll see how I did on August 20th (60 days from when I dropped the items off.)  They would only take in season items, so in fall I will drop off all the sweaters and jackets.  I also had some Indian and Asian friends donate some traditional clothes, and both shops were very interested in these items.
Baby items sell really well, but they have to be new and in impeccable shape.  I had some audio baby monitors, but they will only take video ones.  The baby consignment shop turned down all my items- we didn't have too many kids' items and many were out of season.  If your last child grows out of things, consign them right away.  We had a couple drop side cribs donated, but had to toss them- they are illegal to sell.  You shouldn't sell car seats or helmets either.  We had people donate other items, but remember baby items trend- no one uses strollers that we all used 15 years ago.  No sense hanging on to them- no one will want them in few years. 
Even though, many items were turned down and I don't know if anything sold yet, I would recommend consigning items.  If it doesn't sell, you've lost nothing and if it does you've earned more than you would at a tag sale.  If the items don't sell, I am bringing them to the hospital thrift store and using it as a tax deduction- which would be more money than selling clothes at a tag sale. 
So far we have made $2400 on the tag sale, we'll see if the rest of the items on Craigslist and at consignment sell.  I hope to make $3000 all together. 

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting how people will make such low offers-we had the same thing happen. I took an almost brand new Schleich barn with about 15 animals to our local consignment shop and they offered me $6 for it-no way. I listed it online and someone offered $125 which we accepted. It's all finding the right market and being patient sometimes. But I learned my lesson that yardsales are only those customers wanting to make a dirt cheap deal-not for the seller to make a big profit.

    ReplyDelete