Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Baba Marta

(Pochti) Chestita Baba Marta!
I know, I shouldn't wish you a happy Baba Marta until March 1st, but...
Baba Marta is my favorite Bulgarian holiday.  On March 1st, people exchange red and white bracelets - Martinitzi.  You wear this bracelet, or pin, until you see a stork, then tie the bracelet to a fruit tree.  In April, trees in Sofia are covered in these bracelets.
Here are some children making martinitzi:





Sometimes Martinizi are shaped like a man and woman- Pizho and Penda:
Why do Bulgarian celebrate Baba Marta (Grandmother March), well it depends who you ask.  This is what Balkan Folk says.  I've heard many stories of how it was started.  But to me, Baba Marta is a day of fun and friendship during a hard, cold winter.  When you see the Grannies selling martinitzi, it means spring will soon be here! 

1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing all the martinitzi in the trees when we visited Emilia in mid-April last year. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete