Friday, March 16, 2012

abilities

The hardest thing we've had to do for the home study, was go through a list of disabilities and decide which we would consider, which we would accept and which we would not consider. 
We have to be realistic in what we can manage.  And you shouldn't say you'll accept more than you can handle to move through the process more quickly (special needs children are often placed on "waiting children" lists which move more quickly.)  We went through the list with my dad, who is a doctor, which was helpful.  Its hard to say you wouldn't accept a disability, I keep thinking "what if I was having a child with this disability, then what would I do."  I know I shouldn't think like that, it isn't helpful. 
So what did we decide?  A lot of disabilities, we decided we would consider- depending on the other circumstances.  We decided, we would accept or consider issues that can be treated, repaired or managed here in the US without a major effect on the child's ability to lead a successful life.  For example, a blind child may never be able to see, but he will grow up to live a healthy, happy and successful life.  A child with missing limbs can have prosthetics or can have devices that enable them to use every day items- drive a car. 
It makes you feel cold hearted to say you wouldn't accept a child because of his/her disability. I know colleagues and friends who have children with significant disabilities and every day I am amazed at how they seem to handle it with ease.  They are amazing people.  I don't think I could it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment